The Nasarawa State Police Command says it has re-arrested a suspected escapee from the Kuje Medium Security Custodial Centre, Hassan Hassan, on Saturday.
This was disclosed in a statement by the Police Public Relations of the Command, Ramhan Nansel.
“On July 9, 2022, at about 1:30am, one Hassan Hassan ‘M’, whose name and picture was amongst the escapees with Boko Haram/Terrorism Case, was recaptured by the police operatives of the Nasarawa State Police Command at Keffi,” the statement read.
Nansel noted that the suspect had been transferred to a safe location and further action would be taken by relevant authorities.
“The Commissioner of Police has ordered for the transfer of the suspect to a safer location while the intensive search for other escapees continues.
“The fugitive will be handed over to the appropriate authority for further action,” it read.
The statement appealed to residents to provide information that would be useful in the re-capture of the escapees.
Gunmen had invaded the Kuje prison facility on Tuesday night.
They attacked with sophisticated weapons and explosives which defied initial attempts by the prison security to repel the attack.
Over 800 out of about 1000 inmates at the facility had escaped, though authorities said half of the escapees were now in custody.
All Boko Haram suspects detained at the facility had fled, and members of the Islamic State of West Africa Province released a short video on Wednesday night, claiming responsibility for the attack.